July 2014

Periodically, because it's good household management but usually because we're in a budget crunch, I go on a campaign to eat the food that we have. Those items that have gotten pushed to the back of the pantry or freezer. Anyone else have this issue? I consider it the fat corn years intended to supply the lean corn ears (see Genesis, the story of Joseph and Pharaoh), but just like the biblical story, it takes some creative management.

I'm going to keep a journal, hopefully during the entire month of July, of my own efforts to economize as I clean and organize my food. My journey is happening in 2014, a time when Americans waste about 25% of what we buy (see newsstory here). That's appalling, but it easy to do. When my culture fails this way, it pains me. When I am too lazy to eat the rest of the spaghetti sauce in my fridge, hey, what do you know about my life? Stay off my back.

Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 7: oh, honey

I went shopping yesterday for a few staple items. I did not buy honey. I have a biscuit, orange juice, and coffee almost every day for breakfast. I make the biscuits up in a double batch and freeze them. Routines are nice because they free up your mind for other tasks; I don't spend any time thinking about what I'll have for breakfast.

I love honey on my biscuits. As a child, we had preserves around all the time, and everyone in the family competed over the strawberry freezer jam. For some reason, my own family is not big on fruit spreads. I began making them a couple of years ago, and now I find that I am really the only one that eats them. I currently have monkey butter (a delicious gift from a friend), strawberry preserves, mango preserves, and maybe peach.

Honey is over $7, as expensive as steak and coffee. I used the rest of mine the other day in a recipe, trying to use up other ingredients. It was on my shopping list, but truthfully, I can eat preserves on my biscuit. I don't need the honey. I didn't buy it. I'm not always good at this thing called "discipline." You know, not doing exactly what you want, when you want to do it.

My husband tells me that he is the biggest fan of this blog. He says, "I don't read it, but I get to live it." You would think that's sarcasm, right? But he really loves the adventure. In our marriage, he's the saver, and so this enterprise is exactly how he would live all the time.

My husband never complains about leftovers, and is more likely to scold me for throwing something out than feeding him something weird. "Why didn't you let me eat that?" he'll say. "I paid for it."

So no honey, at least for July. I find that when I know I am going to have to have preserves on my biscuit, I don't think that much about it. The motivation to not spend money on groceries right now trumps my personal preference in biscuit topping.

Truth-telling: Don't think things are all sunshine and lollipops at my house, with everyone gladly consuming oddities from deep in the pantry and freezer. My children are picky eaters. We will quickly fall off any pedestal you put us on, because my kids think it's cool to jump from heights. Perhaps one of these days I will write about their contribution.


No comments: