July 2014

Periodically, because it's good household management but usually because we're in a budget crunch, I go on a campaign to eat the food that we have. Those items that have gotten pushed to the back of the pantry or freezer. Anyone else have this issue? I consider it the fat corn years intended to supply the lean corn ears (see Genesis, the story of Joseph and Pharaoh), but just like the biblical story, it takes some creative management.

I'm going to keep a journal, hopefully during the entire month of July, of my own efforts to economize as I clean and organize my food. My journey is happening in 2014, a time when Americans waste about 25% of what we buy (see newsstory here). That's appalling, but it easy to do. When my culture fails this way, it pains me. When I am too lazy to eat the rest of the spaghetti sauce in my fridge, hey, what do you know about my life? Stay off my back.

Friday, July 4, 2014

Day 4: skimping on holidays

One of my budget blindspots is entertaining (another is gifts, but don't get me started). When we have people coming over, I throw frugality aside and cook like a hotel. I have recently discovered that this is unnecessary.

Partly, I'm a nervous entertainer. Having good props makes me feel better about company. Recently, however, I had an epiphany (I am anticipating your laughter). My oldest was eating with us along with her boyfriend, and we had ribs to cook out. I started to stop at the store for chips and dip, and something else that seemed hugely necessary but which I cannot remember now, when it occurred to me: I had the fixings for salad. Why couldn't we just eat salad? It's more healthy, and I already have it on hand. And I made roasted potatoes, somewhat irregardless of whether it was anyone's favorite. In the process, my daughter's boyfriend discovered something new that he liked (okay, so I accidentally used too much cayenne, but he liked it).

For the 4th, I pulled a pound cake out of the freezer, with blueberries and strawberries (also frozen, but that's fine when you're sugaring them up). We're having green salad, pasta salad, and elote (I bought the corn, but it was 25 cents an ear). I chose sliders over burgers so we could enjoy small portions, and the buns were cheaper because I bought dinner rolls. Normally I buy both wheat and white, both hot dog and burger, and sometimes onion buns. Again, overachiever.

I resisted the impulse to buy bell peppers: it is not mandatory to have grilled onions and bell peppers "in case someone wants them." That is just my own need to overdo.

Besides, my daughter ended up buying a pretty red pepper for the pasta salad, and I can use half of it to julienne and cook with onions. Sometimes things work out, and they're more fun when you don't strive after them.

We're having tea and lemonade today (no soda, which my mother-in-law offered to bring, but who really needs it?), probably coffee with dessert. And we will enjoy being together, no props necessary.

No comments: