July 2014

Periodically, because it's good household management but usually because we're in a budget crunch, I go on a campaign to eat the food that we have. Those items that have gotten pushed to the back of the pantry or freezer. Anyone else have this issue? I consider it the fat corn years intended to supply the lean corn ears (see Genesis, the story of Joseph and Pharaoh), but just like the biblical story, it takes some creative management.

I'm going to keep a journal, hopefully during the entire month of July, of my own efforts to economize as I clean and organize my food. My journey is happening in 2014, a time when Americans waste about 25% of what we buy (see newsstory here). That's appalling, but it easy to do. When my culture fails this way, it pains me. When I am too lazy to eat the rest of the spaghetti sauce in my fridge, hey, what do you know about my life? Stay off my back.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 10: impatience and sentimentality

The cornmeal pancakes I mentioned in Day 8 turned out fantastic. There's a round 2 for later. My family eats small amounts-at least we do if we want to keep our waistlines. It is tempting sometimes to think, "Well, I'm going to eat MORE so this stupid food will be GONE."

It's not like we get a medal if we hurry through this process. One goal is to spend less money, so taking longer to eat all these crazy concoctions and leftovers is cost-effective. I guess this is one of those times when my coffee-drinking personality works against me: Do stupid things faster with more energy!

On one side is my impatience to reach the goal line. On the other is my reluctance to actually finish out certain items. In the freezer, there is a gallon-sized bag with four cubes of lemon juice. I know I should use them up, but it makes me so sad! Back in February (I think), I bought 100 lemons from my food co-op as a complement, an extra purchase. And I juiced them all, froze the results in ice cube trays, and we have had fresh lemonade so easily from them. I also saved a lot of lemon zest, of which I still have a good supply.

But the lemon juice cubes have gone pretty fast. As the supply has dwindled, I've been less and less willing to make lemonade. The girls drink it so quickly. Juicing those 100 lemons was a lot of work, and I love to see them enjoy it...but it's almost over. Only four more cubes.

Cleaning out my kitchen this summer requires a bit of discipline. And discipline has a spiritual side. The quiet of this July is allowing me to find a place of rest, of contentment. A place where I can save the rest of the cornmeal batter for another day, and just as easily mix up the last pitcher of lemonade.

All good things ultimately come from God's hand. I don't have to be too controlling with what I'm holding now.

No comments: