July 2014

Periodically, because it's good household management but usually because we're in a budget crunch, I go on a campaign to eat the food that we have. Those items that have gotten pushed to the back of the pantry or freezer. Anyone else have this issue? I consider it the fat corn years intended to supply the lean corn ears (see Genesis, the story of Joseph and Pharaoh), but just like the biblical story, it takes some creative management.

I'm going to keep a journal, hopefully during the entire month of July, of my own efforts to economize as I clean and organize my food. My journey is happening in 2014, a time when Americans waste about 25% of what we buy (see newsstory here). That's appalling, but it easy to do. When my culture fails this way, it pains me. When I am too lazy to eat the rest of the spaghetti sauce in my fridge, hey, what do you know about my life? Stay off my back.

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 19: in which I whine a little

Yesterday, I picked up some necessities at the grocery store. I needed some salad dressing, which is on the same aisle as the honey. In fact, I picked up the honey and put it in my cart. It's only $8. I was buying other basics, like pasta and juice. Things we eat. We eat honey. I could make peanut butter balls for my daughter with the honey. See, it's not entirely for me. It's for my family, such sweet, precious people.

And I realize: my problem is not eating what I have. My problem is spoiling myself. Poor me has been eating mango preserves every morning this week. I thought it was really fun to make those preserves: I used up some mangoes (last summer); the preserves came out a funky yellow color. I gave some away. People smiled at me.

It's all fun and games until someone has to eat the last jar. Someone who would rather have honey.

I put the honey back on the store shelf, by the way.

Stupid honey is turning out to be a mirror to my self-indulgent soul.

I really love to cook. I spent a little time yesterday rearranging the inside freezer: meat on the top shelf, then breads, then fruits, then veggies. There seems to be a lot of juice concentrate in the door. Why do I have that much? And why are some of them open? I think it was for a recipe sometime. I wonder if I dump them all in a pitcher, add water, if my husband would drink it. Mystery juice. That sounds fun.

But I digress...the second shelf of the freezer is full of baked goods, because I just wanted to make muffins and scones recently. They were my favorites, not really something that the family liked. And now guess who has to eat them? I am moving farther and farther away from my simple biscuit and honey breakfast.

The next time I have the urge to cook or bake some delicacy, I am going to have to ask myself: who will be eating this? If I don't have an immediate answer, I better find some other activity to take my time.

Laundry does not smell as good as hot, fresh scones.

But this had better be my new reality. I am only packaging my self-indulgence in a productive, enjoyable habit. If I were my child, I would probably be lecturing me.

No comments: