July 2014

Periodically, because it's good household management but usually because we're in a budget crunch, I go on a campaign to eat the food that we have. Those items that have gotten pushed to the back of the pantry or freezer. Anyone else have this issue? I consider it the fat corn years intended to supply the lean corn ears (see Genesis, the story of Joseph and Pharaoh), but just like the biblical story, it takes some creative management.

I'm going to keep a journal, hopefully during the entire month of July, of my own efforts to economize as I clean and organize my food. My journey is happening in 2014, a time when Americans waste about 25% of what we buy (see newsstory here). That's appalling, but it easy to do. When my culture fails this way, it pains me. When I am too lazy to eat the rest of the spaghetti sauce in my fridge, hey, what do you know about my life? Stay off my back.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day 15: wasting away

In home living magazines, do you ever see a near-empty bottle of hand soap at the kitchen sink? Never. Why? Because only full bottles are beautiful. This lesson, like full lips and shiny hair, has been subtly communicated to me.

The soap bottle at my sink (middle) has had about an inch or less soap in it for weeks. I have been eagerly waiting for it to die. Every time I have company coming over, I wonder, "Should I switch out that soap bottle? It's almost empty."

Because people coming to my house would be so impressed if the soap bottle was FULL. Right?

This impulse to go ahead and ditch it, get a new one--this is where some of that 25% waste comes from. There's not much ketchup in the bottle--just throw it out. The toothpaste is almost empty--toss it. Not much ice cream in the container--go ahead and have a second bowl. (Oh, wait, that's WAIST, not WASTE.)

My husband and I always take home leftovers from a restaurant. I store my shampoo bottle upside down to let the last bit drip to the bottom. I scrape the last of the honey from the jar with a spoon. Ah, the last of the honey...

These habits are sometimes a pain, and sometimes they feel cheap. I mean, if I can drink Starbucks coffee at $5/drink, I can throw out the near-empty ketchup bottle. I live in America!

Let's say my family uses 5 bottles of ketchup in a year, and I throw out the bottle when it is still 20% full. (If I were a manufacturer, I would make that last little bit hard to get out and as invisible as possible.) I am tossing the equivalent of one bottle of ketchup a year. My family really only uses four, but we buy one to throw away. One ketchup bottle is half a Starbucks drink--have priorities, people.

I was really excited yesterday when I could no longer get any soap out of the dispenser in the kitchen. The thrill of a new, FULL bottle! But I lasted almost a month using up what I had. And I think if I can find a way to balance it upside down, I can get the last capful into my new bottle.

Cheap? Maybe. But I want habits that help me always use what I have.

No comments: