July 2014

Periodically, because it's good household management but usually because we're in a budget crunch, I go on a campaign to eat the food that we have. Those items that have gotten pushed to the back of the pantry or freezer. Anyone else have this issue? I consider it the fat corn years intended to supply the lean corn ears (see Genesis, the story of Joseph and Pharaoh), but just like the biblical story, it takes some creative management.

I'm going to keep a journal, hopefully during the entire month of July, of my own efforts to economize as I clean and organize my food. My journey is happening in 2014, a time when Americans waste about 25% of what we buy (see newsstory here). That's appalling, but it easy to do. When my culture fails this way, it pains me. When I am too lazy to eat the rest of the spaghetti sauce in my fridge, hey, what do you know about my life? Stay off my back.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 2: the odd invisibles


I am attacking those jars in the frig that have been there forever, so long that I don't see them anymore. Three examples:

*Dried Tomato & Caper Tapenade: I will designate this for my husband's late night snacks, or put it on his sandwiches. It needs to be gone.

*Sugar free hot fudge: If my diabetic father-in-law doesn't eat the rest of it on the 4th, my husband or daughter gets to finish it with a spoon.

*Spelt flour: So little in such a large container--it shall go in my next batch of biscuits and be gone.

Today's effort doesn't require much energy from me, but it's still a productive step. What weird things are lurking in your fridge?

No comments: