July 2014

Periodically, because it's good household management but usually because we're in a budget crunch, I go on a campaign to eat the food that we have. Those items that have gotten pushed to the back of the pantry or freezer. Anyone else have this issue? I consider it the fat corn years intended to supply the lean corn ears (see Genesis, the story of Joseph and Pharaoh), but just like the biblical story, it takes some creative management.

I'm going to keep a journal, hopefully during the entire month of July, of my own efforts to economize as I clean and organize my food. My journey is happening in 2014, a time when Americans waste about 25% of what we buy (see newsstory here). That's appalling, but it easy to do. When my culture fails this way, it pains me. When I am too lazy to eat the rest of the spaghetti sauce in my fridge, hey, what do you know about my life? Stay off my back.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Day 29: keeping track

I have enjoyed blogging every day on this journey. It has kept me focused and always thinking about the next step. I've started to wonder what I want to do in August...

It is wisdom to write things down: goals, things to do, budgets. We hold ourselves accountable in the writing.

The truth is I will be too busy with school. However, I have discovered that one reason we struggle to eat all we have is that we are watching our calorie intake. I am not the 20-something I used to be, who could eat whatever I want and waltz thinly on. Maybe in August I will keep a simple journal of what I eat each day. Am I getting enough nutrition? Am I indulging somewhere without noticing?

The trick for me is truly to not buy what I don't need. I have kettle corn that is divinely delicious, and I didn't need to buy it. I have leftover pizza because I like to be generous when we entertain, and now all that's left are the toppings that the kids don't like. I am going to let the children finish up the birthday cake because they will enjoy it, and I do not need another ounce sitting on my hips. And I'm telling you, it is very good cake. But I'm not going to eat any more. Really.

Some of my shelves are neater than they were. Perhaps the influx of food in the fridge is due to Produce Acquisition and birthday celebration. It's just a little overwhelming to be at the end of the month and there is still so much there. I wish Africa were right next door, and that the single mom there had children who liked chips and salsa.

No comments: