July 2014

Periodically, because it's good household management but usually because we're in a budget crunch, I go on a campaign to eat the food that we have. Those items that have gotten pushed to the back of the pantry or freezer. Anyone else have this issue? I consider it the fat corn years intended to supply the lean corn ears (see Genesis, the story of Joseph and Pharaoh), but just like the biblical story, it takes some creative management.

I'm going to keep a journal, hopefully during the entire month of July, of my own efforts to economize as I clean and organize my food. My journey is happening in 2014, a time when Americans waste about 25% of what we buy (see newsstory here). That's appalling, but it easy to do. When my culture fails this way, it pains me. When I am too lazy to eat the rest of the spaghetti sauce in my fridge, hey, what do you know about my life? Stay off my back.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Day 26: Produce Acquisition Day

Once again, I have brought home a feast of produce. I did break down and buy the Mexican Fiesta Pack, so I have many peppers along with the regular basket. Because I volunteered, I got a few extra goodies (limes, garlic).

I cleaned out the veggie crisper and placed my new things carefully inside. The lettuce will be used at a family celebration on Sunday. In the winter, the carrots and celery get incorporated easily, but this summer I have thrown away a whole pack of carrots.

To counter that problem, I'm going to make cream of celery soup. I make it from scratch when I can, and I'll use it in a lovely chicken rotel casserole. I'll also make some homemade rotel with the tomatoes and jalapenos.

I'm going to make some veggie baggies for my husband's lunch next week, to replace chips and granola bars. At his checkup, he was told he needs to drop five pounds. Five pounds can be a lot of work, so we'll send carrots, celery, and radishes to his aid.

I'll make red and green salsas today. Cut the cantaloupe for my youngest, probably make limeade. If I have time, I'll make a batch of Monterey mashed potatoes that a TPG customer described to me this morning. Another low priority will be my favorite poblanos and corn.

I'm also going to make chicken and couscous, to use up a pesky box of couscous that I am tired of storing, and perhaps some scones from a mix I also found hiding in the cabinet.

It is an ambitious day, but it will make the early part of the week very easy, kitchen-wise. The trick for me will be to plan work outside the kitchen: syllabi for school, vacuuming, mopping, maybe some gardening. This is one of my new habits, leaving the kitchen alone when it is full of options and working elsewhere.

Contents of today's basket: pineapple, cantaloupe, bananas, mangoes, cherry tomatoes, romaine lettuce, poblano peppers, garlic, radishes, celery, carrots. The Algebra I book shown in the photo is not included in the standard basket.

No comments: